Society for Mathematical Biology Annual Meeting - 2023
Celebrating SMB's 50th Anniversary at The Ohio State University (Columbus, Ohio)
Landahl Travel Grant:
To apply for the Landahl Travel Grant, the applicant will need to submit an application via this portal: smb.org/landahl-travel-grant-application.
Landahl Travel Award Deadline April 17th, 2023 Landahl Notification of Award April 24th, 2023 Questions? Contact email@example.com Over the years, The Society has provided the editor of the Bulletin of Mathematical Biology with discretionary funds for secretarial and office expenses. When Herbert Landahl was editor-in-chief of the Bulletin, his wife, Evelyn, served as his secretary. Instead of taking a salary, she donated the funds ($35,000) to the Society in 1981. A decision was made by the elected Board of Directors to recognize the funds as a separate endowment and use the interest generated by the funds to provide travel support to graduate students and early career scientists to attend the Annual Meeting of the Society for Mathematical Biology, thus called the Landahl Travel Award.
- Applicants must be members of the Society at the time funds are requested.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have been members of the Society for at least a year preceding the time of application, or whose advisors have been members for at least a year.
- Preference will also be given to applicants who are presenting a paper or poster at the meeting and those who did not receive a travel grant from the Society the previous year.
- Preference will be given to applicants in the following priority order: (i) graduate students, (ii) post-doctoral fellows, (iii) non-tenured junior faculty, who do not have sufficient travel funds from other sources, such as grants, (iv) senior scientists with insufficient travel funds, and (iv) non-society members who join at the time of application.
- Funding is also available for senior scientists living in countries with limited resources, and scientists with limited access to financial resources to fund attendance to meetings.
Travel award recipients are expected to sign up for the mentoring program in order to optimize their conference experience. It is also customary for recipients of the travel grants to contribute to the meeting by helping at the Society for Mathematical Biology Booth.